Old and New

On November 10, 2006 the building of St. David’s Church was destroyed by a fire caused by a teenage arsonist.  The structure was found to be unsound, and the only remaining sound part of the building, the original 1952 church, had to be gutted.

The result was a 5.2 million dollar project which added 10,000 square feet with a new large parish hall, a youth center, new nave, new offices, new commercial level kitchen and new classrooms.
The pictures below tell the story.

The Sanctuary of the "old" St. David's built in 1961.

The Sanctuary of the “old” St. David’s built in 1961.

Removing the heavily damaged Christus Rex from the wall of the old sanctuary.

Removing the heavily damaged Christus Rex from the wall of the old sanctuary.

Outside of the new Nave

Outside of the new Nave

Views of the New Nave

Views of the New Nave

inside1

Otside on a fall day.

Outside on a fall day.

We have come a long way.  Fourteen months after the dedication of the new building we announced that we were debt free.  The parish raised the funds necessary to build the additional square feet beyond the insurance payments and we have a new maintenance fund for future expenses.

The church met for a while at the Topeka Masonic Center and for 11 months at Temple Beth Sholom.  Our relationship with the temple is one that continues to this day as we delight in working with them on many community projects and issues.   Our Saturday afternoon service was re-located to Grace Cathedral and we thank our sister parish for their assistance in providing us with space for weddings and funerals during our days without a building of our own.

A picture book has been developed and is available through the parish Servant Shoppe.